NAT/QLD | Terry Williams | SU Queensland & SU International
Children’s Ministry Specialist
TOPICS: Handling children’s questions • Children & the Bible • Behaviour Management • Children Joining Jesus’ Team • Mentoring • Leading Small Groups •
• Terry trained and worked as a teacher in primary and secondary schools before joining the staff team of Scripture Union Queensland where he has worked for 29 years. In 2008 Terry divided his time to join the SU International staff team in a part time capacity where part of his role is to serve on a small global training team helping to multiply trainers across the world. Terry is married to Margaret and they have three adult children and one grandson.
• Working with the churches, Scripture Union aims:
* to make God’s Good News know to children, young people and families, and
* to encourage people of all ages to meet God daily through the Bible and prayers
so that they may come to personal faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, grow in Christian maturity and become both committed church members and servants of a world in need.
Sample session titles and descriptions:
• Handling children’s questions about life & faith
Handling children’s questions
“Why didn’t God stop the tsunami?”, “Why did God let my mum die?” These big questions are just a sample of the many questions that children ask and need to find some answers for as they struggle to make sense of life and faith. How we respond and journey with children in the conversations that follow is of vital importance for children to grow in their understanding of God and their own faith.
• Adventuring with children into the BIG Story of the Bible
Children & the Bible
The Bible is much more than a collection of isolated memory verses and favourite stories. It is God’s BIG love story for the people He created and for whom He longs to be in relationship. But it is not only God’s story – it is our story as well. WE are a part of it and each of our children are part of the same story. Let’s explore ways of opening up God’s BIG story in new ways for every child.
• Managing Behaviour & Maintaining Control
Tried and tested strategies for helping children to manage their behaviour and keep you in control. Plus a 10 Point Discipline Plan to help you help a child to navigate through their challenging behaviours to bring positive results.
• Helping children make choices about following Jesus
Children Joining Jesus’ Team
How effectively are we providing our children with invitations to respond to Jesus which are appropriate to their level of understanding? There are dangers at both extremes – providing too many opportunities or none at all. Central to our discussion will be an exploration of the foundational principles behind any such invitation, as well considering conversational techniques to implement.
• Mentoring in your Ministry
Mentoring is life touching life. Mentoring is an important personal growth strategy and happens in a variety of ways and at different levels. Who is your mentor? Who are your peer mentors? Whom are you mentoring? Discover some of the principles to help you in your mentoring experiences.
• Leading Small Group Time with Children
Leading Small Groups
Small groups are intimate settings for engaging life. Small groups have many advantages over the large group setting. Find out some of the key principles for making your small group times help children to engage with matters of life and faith.
Look forward to hearing from you soon!
Post date: 16/07/2013 • Post Author: terrywilliams
We would love it if you could use/adapt one of the following options to reference our ‘Find a trainer/presenter/artist’ web page &/or cmm.org.au website in your eNewsletter or website:
Find a Resource Person (trainer/presenter/artist) for children’s &/or families ministry contexts in Australia.
View or post online with Children’s Ministry Network … cmn.org.au
Discover Children’s Ministry Network cmm.org.au
Resourcing Australian children and families ministry, promoting:
Networking ~ Connecting ~ Events ~ Positions vacant ~ Resources
Resource people (trainers/presenters/artists) ~ & more!